Keeping you dog stress-free when you move home
May 21, 2019
Moving house is said be one of the most stressful experiences anyone can go through, but it’s not just humans who can get stressed out by the process.
Moving can cause anxiety and behavioural problems for your pet, but the team at Northwich Vets will be happy to advise you on the best ways to keep your dog calm, so just contact us and we’ll help you achieve a smooth move.
Our tips for a stress-free moving day
Moving day can be busy, with lots more people and boxes around than usual. Your dog will also pick up on your mood and know there’s reason to feel stressed. Moving furniture, boxes and packing can be unsettling for them too. But there are ways you can minimise your pet’s discomfort.
Here are some tips:
- You can consider leaving your dog with a trusted friend or at boarding kennels until everything is settled at your new home. If you do consider kennels you will need to make sure vaccinations and worming are up to date, so feel free to contact us to make sure your dog’s good to go.
- If you decide to keep your dog with you, set aside a room filled with your dog’s bed and toys, along with fresh water, where you know it will be safe while everything else gets packed up.
- Try not to pack your dog’s items until later in the process. This will stop them feeling as anxious pre-move.
- Create a safe place in your new home filled with your pet’s favourite blankets, toys and treats. These will bring the smells of your previous house and your scent to comfort your dog in the new, unusual environment.
- Be sure to get your new home thoroughly cleaned, especially if you know that the previous occupiers had pets.
- If your pet feels really stressed, then purchasing a pheromone diffuser for before and after the move might be a good option. The team at Northwich Vets can provide sound advice on which product will best suit yours and your dog’s needs.
We hope you have a happy, stress-free moving day.