(Don’t) give the dog a bone
December 7, 2017
Sunday roast over? Puppy-dog eyes staring up at the leftovers? This is one occasion when you really mustn’t give in – however harsh it seems. The team at Northwich Vets are happy to fully explain why when you contact them
It might seem that a bone is the most natural treat you could give your dog, but there are quite a few potential dangers that can come out of feeding cooked bones and it’s essential you understand what these are. We suggest you contact us for advice before feeding raw bones to your dog.
Dangers of cooked bones
Cooked bones should always be avoided, as they pose a threat to your dog’s digestive system and intestines.
Our head vet Patrick Murphy explains that the cooking process dehydrates bones and causes them to become brittle. This increases the likelihood of them splintering and causing serious damage. Not only this, but cooking the bones removes any nutritional value.
Here are some of the injuries that cooked bones can lead to:
- Broken teeth
- Mouth and tongue injuries
- Pieces of bone splinters getting stuck in the oesophagus, windpipe, stomach or intestines
- A bone splinter could puncture your dog’s stomach
- Constipation due to bone fragments
- Severe bleeding from the rectum
- Peritonitis (a bacterial infection of the abdomen caused if bone fragments poke holes in your dog’s stomach or intestines)
What about raw bones?
Raw bones can be a good source of nutrition and it has been suggested they can improve skin and joint health. Not only that, the act of chewing can help to keep your dog’s teeth in good condition.
However, it’s important you select appropriate bones for your dog’s age, breed and size.
Never leave your dog unattended with a raw bone and, if you have more than one dog, it’s best to separate them if feeding them bones as they get very territorial over them.
There is lots of speculation around feeding raw bones to dogs, so it’s best to contact us if you have any questions.
Also, we know that accidents happen and some dogs will get their paws on food they shouldn’t no matter how careful you are, so remember we are always here for emergency care too.